Sunday, November 22, 2009

Making Old New Again: Cereal Box Advent Calendar House


I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but I've already started on the Christmas crafts! This is a fun frugal project to do with the family. And it's made with a cereal box! It does have a few steps, but they are all pretty simple, and you will be so happy with what you've accomplished!

I will show you how I did this, but remember you need not 'follow the rules!' If you don't have craft paint for example, you could decoupage paper onto the front, or use leftover house paint, crayons or pens.

Supplies

  • cereal box
  • paint or other materials to decorate box
  • exacto knife or box cutter
  • cutting board
  • glitter (optional)


I started out by turning the cereal box inside out.


Then I drew 24 different shapes boxes around the box with a pencil.



Then to make little windows I sliced the tops of the drawn boxes, the bottoms, and one down the middle. Or I cut along one side of the drawn box, and the top and the bottom to so it could open on one side.

Once the windows were all cut, I took a piece of card stock (regular paper would be fine) and placed it underneath the cut boxes. Then I traced in pencil each of the windows. It helps to tape the paper in place while you are doing this so that the windows will line up.

Then I found 24 little Christmas pictures from the Walgreens/JoAnne's/Rite Aid ads. I think it would be really sweet to put mini photos instead, you could put some of your favorite family photos in a word document and reduce their size, then print them out in black and white or color.

Then I painted the box red, the roof black, painted some white snow flakes falling with white paint, and even added a string of Christmas lights. Once the front was all painted I turned the box over and painted the backs of the shutters an iridescent blue (I didn't want the Cheerios graphics showing through). Then I attached the piece of card stock with the pictures to the box and taped in place.

Finally I taped the box back together. Attached the top flaps with tape so that they would make a triangle roof shape, then added a little glitter for affect.

Voila! You made old new again!

Ta for now,

Miss Frugal

p.s. if you try this send me a photo, I would love to see it!

1 comment:

  1. That's so cute! I totally want to make one. My kids would love it.

    ReplyDelete